Thursday, November 4, 2010

Meet Tanner Bryan Skillestad

Well - we had a rather eventful night last night.   Our original intent was to have a homebirth this time.   I needed to make it to 36 weeks in order for that to happen though and I had 3 more days I needed to make it to that point.   So, when I started having contractions yesterday morning we did our best to lay low and try and get them to stop until Sat.   Well - no such luck.   I called the midwife at 9:45pm and told her the contractions had started coming about 5-7 min apart.   So the midwife arrived at 10:35 to assess what was going on with me and prepare us for transport to the hospital.

I had a few pretty hefty contractions right around the time she showed up - but she said my uteris wasn't contracting that hard so they weren't that strong.   Within about 20 min they were stronger and I headed to the tub for some relief.   That didn't help and once I got out they were SOOOOOo bad.   They were so close and strong and I was starting to lose it.   She wanted to do vitals before we headed for the hospital.   She got the heartbeat and my blood pressure and then checked me quick.   I was so afraid she was going to tell me that I was only at a 5 or something.   But her first words were "Eric, call the paramedics - this baby is coming now."     And sure enough it was about 2 more contractions before I was pushing and baby's head was right there.   Not that you need any more of the gory details - but I had a good 15 min or so of pushing - and yelling - and pushing - and yelling - to finally have Tanner Bryan Skillestad arrive at 12:10am November 4th.    He needed 5 to 10 min of oxygen and chest compressions to get his breathing going, and left shortly thereafter for the hospital with Eric.

He is doing great now - but will be in the hospital for observation until Saturday.  I am doing well and we are so thankful that our new little man is doing well.

He is 6lbs 5ounces 19 inches long with blond hair and bushy blond eyebrows.   This isn't the most great picture of him, but all we have for now.  So meet our new son, Tanner....
We will post better pictures when we are able to take some.   Thanks to all of you who were praying for us - we needed it and are so thankful for you.

9 comments:

WoRds/WoNDer said...

He is so beautiful! We are so happy for you all :) Prayers & best wishes!!!

Amanda said...

Wow - I guess you got your home birth after all! Just not exactly how you expected it! Amy - I am SO proud of you...Holy cow! What a crazy experience! But God obviously had His hand in it and I am SO excited to meet little Tanner. He is BEAUTIFUL, hospital wires and all, and I am so happy for you guys! can't wait to meet him!

Granola said...

Hooray! So excited for you and your family! This morning I kept thinking about your post from yesterday and wondering how you were doing! xoxo

Christina said...

Soooo happy for Eric and you! Tanner is adorable! Can't wait to meet him. I'm glad it was a safe delivery. :)

Damaris said...

Welcome, sweet baby boy :) We are so glad you made it safe and sound. Amy, you are amazing - way to go, girl!!! We love you all very much.
Love, Damaris & Co.

Anonymous said...

What a story!!! You are one strong mama! :) Congrats again on your handsome new addition!

Jen Zick said...

That "Anonymous" comment is from me. :)

susu said...

he's so so precious...auntie is in love with u already little Tanner, so glad you've arrived.

absofsteel26 said...

You are SO strong! Love you lady and congrats to you and your's on the newest addition!!! So thankful you are well!