Sunday, May 31, 2009

Half Marathon

So, it sounded like a good idea to help me lose weight - run a half marathon with Skills. Only instead of losing weight, the first couple months of training I put on 12 pounds. It made me so mad that I was exercising regularly and gained so much weight I quit training. I figured if I was going to get fat the couch was the perfect place, not the treadmill.

Anyway, with two months to go before the marathon, and a thyroid that had quit working I got lazy and ran about 5 times in those two months. I knew that I was going to be hurting today - I walked 12 miles in Paris last February and pretty much got to the point of being unable to walk.

Well, I guess considering my lack of training - the 9 miles I ran and the 4 I walked didn't seem like such a failure. By mile 10 I was fairly concerned I may not even be able to walk the remaining 3 miles, but I persevered and FINISHED. My time, almost embarassing was 3 Hours and 14 Minutes but whose counting. I can at least say that I have finished a half marathon, and I'm fairly certain that I won't be doing so EVER EVER EVER again. I guess going from a lifelong record of 3.5miles to being able to run 9 miles I should appreciate the challenge and relish in the accomplishment.

I'm just so glad its over !

5 comments:

Susu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susu said...

Good Job Ame, I am not sure if I could run even a 1/4 marathon!

tammy said...

The fact that you did it is AWESOME! I have a lot of friends who run, and even Jim wants to do some sort of triathlon...I just dont get it. I dont understand why you'd "want" to exercise (he does 100 mile mtn bike races for FUN!)
You should be proud of yourself for the accomplishment! way to go!

absofsteel26 said...

I'm proud of you Ame! It is tough work but you are one determined girl! Good Job!

WoRds/WoNDer said...

Way to go!!!! That's awesome!