Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Good News

Well no one leaves me comments anymore.....but I shall continue to write none-the-less. I woke up apprehensive this morning because at 10:30 I had a meeting with Andrew's Autism Dr/Nutritionist. We had a large amount of $$ to use up from his state grant in March and so we ran an enormously expensive set of blood tests to get a comprehensive view of what his body is doing right now.

I showed up unsure of what the conversation would hold. Generally these tests are downers, but I was hopeful for some good news. The initial packets of stuff the receptionist gave me had 8 things listed that Andrew was going to need. Ouch, the list of supplements is growing and when we lose his grant God had better fix him cause we won't be able to afford to keep him healthy :)

Anyway, after we went over the vitamins/minerals/amino acids that he is lacking in - he said he wanted to bring a few things to my attention. First his oxidation level, which is usually quite high in ASD kids due to brain inflamation - Andrew's is totally normal. He said most kids he sees have elevated levels which means there is always more damage being done in the brain. Secondly, there is a list of like 6 Neuro-transmitters which he said in most ASD kids are very low. Andrew's were all in the normal range. He said the things we have been doing are working - because most kids he sees don't test normal. I almost started to cry.....good news.....good news.....two of the major tests relating to brain function showed his body working properly. The process for detoxing seems to be working better now as well. We still have work to do, and until God chooses to just fix him we will continue to fight and spend enormous amounts of money on pills :) but I am grateful the good news....for confirmation that we are on the right track and I am grateful for the guidance from Dr Mayfield.

We continue to pray for Andrew's healing, for his allergies to be gone, but in the meantime we will cherish the adversities and relish in the GOOD NEWS.

5 comments:

WoRds/WoNDer said...

yea for good news!

grampa bryan said...

PRAISE GOD AGAIN!!!
so exciting to see great things.

Jeanne said...

Hey Amy, Eric and the kids. This is soooo exciting and we continue to pray everyday that he just continues to improve and God will take care of him! We are so proud of all the work you are doing too Amy and the dedication you have shown for years along side your husband. Love you all!

Anonymous said...

Hi amy

Followed your link from facebook. I am an Aspen mom also and have a sophmore in High School that has ASD, we unfortunately did not get this diagnosis till 5th grade was over. He was diagnosed with a ton of other things. Anyways it is so uplifting to hear good news for you. Did you hear about the news today about the gene they discovered that is part of the 17th chromosome? It is more profound in boys. Anyways You could probably get more out of the article if you read it on your own than me telling you the story and getting half of it misconstrued it was on the yahoo news site.

See ya around
Melissa Lenhardt

absofsteel26 said...

Just cuz I don't comment doesn't mean I don't read! I love the updates...and I love you!