Friday, October 16, 2009

R.I.P Shiver

Today we had our first real family loss. Courtney's pet guinea pig, Shiver, died while resting with her this morning. I'm glad I took lots of pictures with them together when she first got her. She felt comforted by seeing the fun times they had together. It was a very emotional time for both the kids and myself. Not because I will particularly miss the guinea pig, but because my daughter was so heartbroken.

Shiver's passing was a good time for me to explain the shortness of life and the fact that none of us is going to live here forever. I was in my office working on a school project with Andrew when we heard her sobbing. I had a feeling.... we went up to her room to see her holding Shiver to her chest and crying. She begged me to take it to the Dr, so that they could fix her, and Andrew left the room and went into his room and started praying that God would fix her. It was so sweet and so heartbreaking at the same time. I explained that the Dr couldn't fix her now, that she had passed away and we decided to give her a funeral. So off to the backyard we went to bury her and say our goodbyes. Then we created a cross so that Courtney could remember her always.
It didn't take long before they asked if they could get another one, a new friend to cuddle and take care of and I couldn't say "No". So off to the pet store we went. I'd like to introduce you all to "CoCo" the newest addition to our family. Though he will never replace Shiver in Court's heart, he has already eased the pain of losing her first pet and her first experience with death.

We will miss you Shiver - especially Courtney - but it was fun while it lasted!

3 comments:

Christina said...

Oh no! Sorry to hear about Courtney having a hard time! I remember what it was like to loose a pet! That was so sweet of Andrew to start praying right away. He knew just what to do. Thanks for sharing.
Welcome CoCo!

absofsteel26 said...

Love this post. Losing a pet is hard, so glad you were able to help her through it. Andrew is so sweet! Love you Ame!

Susu said...

It's sad about shiver but I like cocoa better!